Difference between IDE and SCSI ??

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 17:19:37 UTC 2008

Alan Cox wrote:
>> I thought firewire was the first serial connection that could beat
>> parallel buses like scsi - somewhere mid-90's.  At least on consumer
>> equipment.
>
> Depends what you define as 'consumer' so we've now got a narrow date
> window and a narrow product range - keep trying. For servers fibrechannel
> was the fast stuff and ethernet was faster than IDE/SCSI at various times.

For a rough cut, I'd define 'consumer' as costing less than $1,000 for
an interface card in the early days.  So arcnet would have qualified
long before ethernet.  Today, consumer stuff seems to be a few dollars
per interface and a few cents matters enough to omit firewire from a lot
of equipment in favor of less capable USB.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com