Viewing a DVD with Totem

Chris Kottaridis chriskot at quietwind.net
Mon Feb 4 19:03:06 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 20:36 -0800, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> rpm.livna.org
>
> It's possible dvd playback works in gstreamer totem again, try:
>
> wget http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-8.rpm
> rpm -ih livna-release-8.rpm
> yum install libdvdcss
>
> If that doesn't get you dvd playback with your fluendo drivers - then
>
> yum install gstreamer-ffmpeg gstreamer-plugins-ugly
> gstreamer-plugins-bad

This didn't work. I got the same complaint.

> If that doesn't get you totem dvd playback -
>
> yum remove totem
> yum install totem-xine xine-lib xine-lib-extras
> xine-lib-extras-nonfree
>
> That will give you DVD capable totem

This did work! Thanks.

The only nit is that when I pull down the "Applications->Sound & Video"
menu the logo icon for "Movie Player" doesn't show up. Just the phrase
"Movie Player"

Hardly worth a concern.

So, now I can use either totem-xine or vlc for DVD viewing.

Thanks
    Chris Kottaridis    (chriskot at quietwind.net)