F7 now super slow, will it infect Fedora 8?

Doug Purdy 1der at rogers.com
Tue Feb 5 01:03:41 UTC 2008

Le lun 04/02/2008 à 18:53, Tim a écrit :

> Doug Purdy:
> > Tim, the FC2 computer is just a normal desktop install and it's not
> > providing nor using shared directories or databases. There are only 8
> > computers and a network printer on this home LAN.
>
> Doesn't have to be.  Sendmail starts, usually, on a machine, and if that
> can't resolve the machine's address, booting gets delayed.  X may need
> to resolve the local address, and then there's applications that display
> something graphically...
>
> I note, later on, your comment about memory might be the problem.  It'd
> be odd for memory to go funny on two computers at the same time, but
> wouldn't be odd for recently updated software or configurations on both
> computers to have a problem.  Did you change anything on both of them
> recently?

Thanks Tim, while both computers have been very slow they haven't acted
exactly the same in that the FC2 has returned to normal twice.

I added a network printer Samsung CLX-2160N and it keeps a program in
the system tray "smartpanel" and it uses Ghostscript. The Samsung
software uses CUPS but manages the printing process. It works fine but
did cause Xine to complain that I was using Xine as root and it would
not be responsible etc. I haven't investigated as this printer can email
or transfer scans on it's own without Xine.

I tried to add Adobe Reader but it doesn't seem to have installed enough
to work. Haven't had time to look at it. Updated Flash on the FC2
computer but first by mistake added an Adobe file that added a lot of
fonts but didn't seem to accomplish much else.

I added MYSQL to the Fedora 7 computer.

I think that's it.

Doug