Can't get photos from camera -

Amadeus W.M. amadeus84 at verizon.net
Tue Feb 5 03:42:43 UTC 2008

On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 22:49:07 +0100, Andras Simon wrote:

> On 2/4/08, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin at wildblue.net> wrote:
>>
>> gphoto2 is giving me the following error messages.  I used it a few
>> days ago with a different camera and it worked without a hitch.
>>
>>         gphoto2 --auto-detect
>>         Model
>>         Port
>>         ---------------------------------------------------------- USB
>>         PTP Class Camera           usb:
>>         USB PTP Class Camera           usb:005,008 [root at box6 ~]#
>>         gphoto2 --list-files
>>

>>         *** Error ***
>>         PTP I/O error
>>
>>         *** Error ***
>>         An error occurred in the io-library ('Unspecified error'): The
>>         supplied vendor or product id (0x0,0x0) is not valid. *** Error
>>         (-1: 'Unspecified error') ***
>>
>>         For debugging messages, please use the --debug option.
>>         Debugging messages may help finding a solution to your problem.
>>         If you intend to send any error or debug messages to the gphoto
>>         developer mailing list <gphoto-devel at lists.sourceforge.net>,
>>         please run
>>         gphoto2 as follows:
>>
>>             env LANG=C gphoto2 --debug --debug-logfile=my-logfile.txt
>>         --list-files
>>
>>         Please make sure there is sufficient quoting around the
>>         arguments.
>>

>>         gphoto2 --get-all-files
>>

>>         *** Error ***
>>         PTP I/O error
>>
>>         *** Error ***
>>         An error occurred in the io-library ('Unspecified error'):
>>         Could not query kernel driver of device.
>>         *** Error (-1: 'Unspecified error') ***
>>
>>         For debugging messages, please use the --debug option.
>>         Debugging messages may help finding a solution to your problem.
>>         If you intend to send any error or debug messages to the gphoto
>>         developer mailing list <gphoto-devel at lists.sourceforge.net>,
>>         please run
>>         gphoto2 as follows:
>>
>>             env LANG=C gphoto2 --debug --debug-logfile=my-logfile.txt
>>         --get-all-files
>>
>>         Please make sure there is sufficient quoting around the
>>         arguments.
>>
>> Man gphoto2 is not much help or perhaps beyond my comprehension.
>>
>> Any suggestions appreciated.
>
> I ran into the same problem a few days ago and got around it by starting
> gphoto2 as root. I know it's only a temporary solution, but I hope it
> works for you, too.
>
> Andras

I have the same problem. I found a fix that worked, then probably after
one of the updates or for whatever reason it didn't work anymore. Here's
the fix anyway:

You must have a file /etc/udev/rules.d/90-libgphoto2.rules

To create one, as root

cd /usr/lib/libgphoto2
./print-camera-list udev-rules version 0.98 mode 666 owner root group
users > /etc/udev/rules.d/90-libgphoto2.rules # one line.

This used to work. Now, however, it doesn't anymore. I guess a system can
use one of several methods for hot-plug devices, and the fix above is for
udev. If I run gthumb-import manually at the prompt, I get this error
message:

process 2809: arguments to dbus_message_new_method_call() were incorrect,
assertion "_dbus_check_is_valid_path (path)" failed in file dbus-
message.c line 1074.
This is normally a bug in some application using the D-Bus library.
  D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace

which I is about D-Bus, or maybe it's a problem with gthumb-import using
D-Bus. I don't pretend to understand how D-Bus works, and how it
interacts with udev, but perhaps the fix should be related to d-bus.
Maybe someone can shed some light here.