FC 8 install and lost add/remove software app

Terry - Fedora Core fastsnip-fedora at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 5 20:04:59 UTC 2008

TNWestTex wrote:
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f8/en_US/
>
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f8/en_US/
>
> Always helps to do your homework.   The install screens could be a lot
> clearer that to keep other os on your system you need to select the custom
> install; however, the options are all there.  Plus a quick search of the
> list archives will provide a lot of advice.  I don't like the updater
> particularly the penchant for doing updates without asking.  I prefer kde
> too.  So you can get the kde install DVD.  Since you ahve a working system,
> you are beyond that.  From a console window, yum will install everything you
> desire and kyum will let you select the updates you really would rather not
> have.
>
> Robert McBroom

Found the problem with add/remove software - pirut had been deleted
somehow. After doing a lot searches through the doc and on-line, it
sounded like that might be the problem.

used the yum command line to install as root and that restored the
"add/remove software" app.

Then used pirut to download KDE and a load of apps.

KDE now running. Better.

One problem with KDE - Under gnome the other hard disks are displayed on
the desktop and I can click to mount and browse in the file manager. KDE
doesn't seem to have anything similar. IS there something similar for
mounting and browsing the other hard disks??