Another ssh problem-SOLVED

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Wed Feb 6 05:00:16 UTC 2008

On 05Feb2008 05:12, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
| On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 10:07 +1100, Cameron Simpson wrote:
| > On 04Feb2008 16:05, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
| > | I have 2 machines that are essentially F7 machines. From machine A I
| > | cannot sftp to machine B as myself. But sftp does work to Machine B if I
| > | am root. [...]
| > You would need to examine /var/log/secure on machineB for diagnostic
| > errors. I would guess directory or file permission problems.
| Your suggestion solved the problem and showed that I was nnot thinking
| straight. The answer was my laptop did not have a user olpc.
| When I sftp-ed to akonstam at 192.168.1.106 it worked.
| I felt pretty stupid not to have not caught that. Thanks for setting me
| on the road to the solution.

It can sometimes be useful to embed the user in appropriate clause
in your machine A .ssh/config file when this happens. A weird example
for connecting to a machine console via a serial console server called
"hydra":

  Host swofford-console
    Hostname              hydra
    User                  cameron:ttyS1

which lets one go "ssh swofford-console".

I'd also remark that I usually turn off root ssh access to my machines.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

As a juror in a Trial by Jury, you have the right, power and duty to acquit
the defendant if you judge the law itself to be unjust.