setting up mail and/or sendmail to use third party SMTP gateway.

Timothy Selivanow timothy.selivanow at virtualxistenz.com
Wed Feb 6 19:41:12 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 14:28 -0500, RThimble at century-bank.com wrote:
> Everyone,
>
> I have been getting bogged down and confused with the documentation on
> setting up mail to send to a SMTP gateway. The problem is there is no
> internal MX record(s) in DNS and we will not be adding any. I want to send
> output  to my corporate email account from our snort sensors when rules
> are changed through oinkmaster. Any ideas on where I can start would be
> useful.
>
> Thank you
>
> Rick
>
> Richard Thimble
> Century Bank
> 400 Mystic Avenue
> Medford, MA 02155
> Telephone: 781.393.4189
> Mobile: 781.507.5457
> Email: rthimble at century-bank.com
> www.century-bank.com
>

> E-Mail confidentiality disclaimer:
>
> The information contained in this message (including attachments) may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message, destroying all copies and deleting it from your computer.

If you aren't opposed to using Postfix, I'd recommend that as the
configuration makes more sense than Sendmail IMO.  In Postfix, you'd
just add a line that says:

	relayhost = [IP or FQDN of relay host]

In fact, that is already in the shipped main.cf just commented out (very
verbose default config file).

A *long* time ago I looked at Sendmail initially, but we use Postfix at
work so when I started to ask questions about Sendmail everyone said to
use Postfix...or to always have FQDN (and reverse) for everything, that
way it magically Just Works (TM).

--Tim
/ "Just think, with VLSI we can have 100 ENIACS on a chip!" \
\ -- Alan Perlis                                            /
  \
   \   \
        \ /\
        ( )