[Bulk] Re: F7 now super slow, will it infect Fedora 8?

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 20:11:26 UTC 2008

On Feb 5, 2008 5:12 AM, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 17:48 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> > turn the damned thing off and send a nasty letter to Samsung!

Note in the top output that you are using a lot of SWAP memory.  It is
not the Samsung program per se that is making your computer run badly.
 Any huge thing absorbing all RAM would do the same, I expect.

I find our systems always run very slowly when they start to use any
SWAP space at all. Perhaps that samsung program it is not always going
to be so huge. It may be dying now, trying to do some big job, or it
is unstable.  I'd "kill 2905"  it and see if it stays smaller next
time it starts.

Can you feed back to let us know if the computer gets faster after
that thing is gone?  As long as your SWAP memory use is 0, the system
should be fine.  If it is not, then we need to think about other
misconfigurations that are possible.

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science