SELinux

Richard England rlengland at verizon.net
Fri Feb 8 03:24:49 UTC 2008

Terry - Fedora Core wrote:
> As I reported on another thread, SELinux has caused me trouble and
> blocked access to my hard disks.
>
> To solve the problem, I set SELinux to "permissive" mode. Am I
> positive that SELinux caused the problem of not being able access the
> hard disks. No. But then when I set SELinux to permissive mode the
> problem disappeared. Not proof, but very strong evidence.
>
> My question:
>
> Should I enable SELinux again?
>
> What do I gain if I do?
>
> Will the gain be greater than the loss of accessing my computer hard
> disks?
>
> And if I do, how do I try to prevent it from locking me out of the
> hard disks again?
>
> How do I determine what caused SELinux to block access, how much
> trouble is it to change SELinux to prevent it from doing that again?
>
> Your insights are appreciated.
>
> Terry

You need to provide more solid details around "...blocked access to my
hard disks."  What error messages are you seeing?  Some one on this list
might be able to assist you.  Is SELinux involved? Probably, given your
experience but how is yet to be determine.   It might be as simple as a
need to relabel your file system ("touch /.autorelabel"  and reboot. ),
but provide more detail and someone can help tell you if that is your
problem

I've been running F7 and F8 with SElinux enabled for as long as they
have both been out and have had not difficulties. So it is possible.

~~R