weather warning applet

Fred Erickson frederickson at iname.com
Fri Feb 8 22:41:53 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-08 at 15:13 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> Having once again noticed that there is an "extreme cold" weather warning
> issued for my area for this afternoon and tonight (dropping to -52 degrees in
> the next few hours, apparently), it occurs to me that it would be very handy to
> be able to get a pop-up notification of weather warnings on my desktop.
>
> I use the gnome weather applet, but to the best of my current knowledge it
> doesn't have the capability of automatically reporting weather warnings.
>
> Is there something else that can do that?
>
> --

There is a program that some Amateur Radio operators use called "Xastir"
which is used for displaying on a map data received from Hams gps
connected radio transmitters. It can also send and receive data from
weather stations and give audible alerts. See www.xastir.org for
details.

The Xastir users list would be a good place to ask a question like that
because many of the people on the list are very knowledgeable about
weather programs and interfacing weather equipment and may know of a
program that will do what you want.

Fred