fc6 and fc7 packages in Fedora 8 - is that normal?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Feb 9 11:45:08 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-02-09 at 12:02 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> I just user pirut to install some packages and it got me confused.
>
> I searched for unpaper package and I have two of them -
> unpaper-0.3-1.fc8 and also unpaper-0_2-2.fc7
>
> also I found pdfjam-1.20-5.fc6
>
> Is this normal?

If there hasn't been an update since then, then future releases will use
the same package in their repo, if it's still compatible with the OS.

I've looked at one repo mirror, I saw  pdfjam-1.20-5.fc6.noarch.rpm and
unpaper-0_2-2.fc7.i386.rpm in the install sub-sections and
unpaper-0.3-1.fc8.i386.rpm in the updates sub-section.  That indicates
that pdfjam as compiled during FC6's lifespan is still considered
current, and unpaper during FC7's was, but an update was later
released.

Some of the search for package tools will return all packages that it
finds in the repos, you only want the latest version, and I think it'll
sort that out for you by itself (you might tick one particular version,
but it'll just install the "unpaper" package, grabbing the highest
version available).

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.