how would you backup 1TB of data to dvds?

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 21:31:28 UTC 2008

Jacques B. wrote:
>> I asked for a backup to DVDs, I need a cheap solution for chunks of
>> 50GB every month.
>>
>> Valent.
>>
> It depends.  What are your needs?  Do you need incremental backups
> (i.e. 12 months of monthly backups), or just need a single backup at
> any given time (so full backup once per month).  These days hard
> drives are so inexpensive that it's hard to justify backing up a dozen
> plus optical media discs worth of data if you just need a full backup
> for redundancy.  Here again you can pick up an external hard drive (80
> gig) very cheap.  But if you need to keep a copy of each monthly
> backup, then you'd have to either get a larger hard drive and save
> your monthly backups to folders, or use another solution.  The
> disadvantage of a single drive with multiple months on it is you have
> one point of failure.
>
> Can you elaborate a bit more on your exact backup needs?  I'm probably
> not in a position to offer much advice beyond what I've already
> offered as I haven't been in a situation where I've been responsible
> for that or have needed that.  But others on the list will better be
> able to provide appropriate solutions once they better understand your
> needs/requirements.
>
> Jacques B.

Is is a home server, no tapes, no hard drive backups... I need a cheap
way of getting 20-50GB to multiple DVDs.

I don't need incremental (I guess that is harder to do on multiple dvd
mediums), just a full backup to dvds.

I have personal images and video files I need to backup.

Is there some tool in fedora, centos or rhel that does this?

Thanks,
Valent.