Tracking the sound problem.

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Sat Feb 9 23:18:13 UTC 2008

On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 16:14:55 -0600
Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Which seems to imply that the CS42368 is sound card 0. So what could be
> going wrong.

Ooh, that sounds familiar! I discovered that my sound card would
disappear when I booted the system while the webcam was plugged
in because the boot time initialization randomized the order
of sound devices.

I was eventually given the advice to add this to /etc/modprobe.conf:

alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-audio
options snd-usb-audio index=1

That makes the webcam audio sound card 2 unconditionally, so it
doesn't matter what order they get initialized in.

(Why any sane kernel startup sequence would initialize any
removable devices before any fixed devices is a separate
question :-).