how would you backup 1TB of data to dvds?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Feb 10 03:20:03 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-02-09 at 21:48 -0500, Lamar Owen wrote:
> > Perhaps you are confusing the notion that those who answered his
> > question with practical assertions were demonstrating concern over
> the
> > premise of practicality and not arrogance.
>
> It is arrogant IMHO to assume that my practicality is the same as
> yours,
> regardless of whether it is my assumption or yours.  YMMV.
----
given OP's original question...

Simple arithmetic suggests to me that backing up 1 Tb would take more
than 222 DVD's without compression but my guess is that most of this is
digital data that won't compress very well but of course, that is just a
guess.

It's not much of a stretch to assume that there is a practical problem
with backing up 1 Tb onto DVD's. Then there is the time factor...which I
can't begin to calculate but I doubt a DVD is going to be written in
much under 30 minutes. Put it another way, is there a reasonable
scenario that you envision that makes it a practical option?

I don't think MMV

and for the record, I never assumed anything nor did I question the OP
but only offered bacula as an option, undoubtedly because others had
raised the issue of practicality which seemed to me to be a very
reasonable question to ask.

Craig