how would you backup 1TB of data to dvds?

Martin Marques martin at marquesminen.com.ar
Sun Feb 10 15:47:19 UTC 2008

John Thompson escribió:
> On 2008-02-09, Valent Turkovic <valent.turkovic at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Ok, how would you backup 50GB then. Ignore 1TB. The question still stands.
>
> Check out e.g. eBay item 330209886764: HP SCSI 40/80Gb DLT Tape Drive
>
> Currently at US$20. I've picked up similar drives for US$30-$50 in the
> past. Figure another US$50 for a handful of tapes, and maybe US$20 for a
> SCSI adaptor (if you don't already have one). You could do the whole
> thing for less than US$150.

John don't be silly. That's a used tape, very old, about 7 to 10 years
old (we had some of those). And you are forgetting the fact that how
ever buys it has to have a SCSI board, something not everyone has.

Also, magnetic tapes are slow.

Even after saying this, we use 200Gb tapes for our nightly network
(servers on the local network) backups using amanda.

But this kind of equipment costs at least $1000, and the tapes aren't
cheap neither.