Sound output across the network possibility

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Sun Feb 10 16:09:29 UTC 2008

On 02/10/2008 10:29:12 AM, Stewart Williams wrote:
> Sorry if this has been asked before, but I thought
> someone may know the exact answer quickly.
>
> Computer A = Fedora 8
> Computer B = Fedora 8
>
> On Computer A I have headphones connected to my speaker
> jack and is where I listen to my music. However, I store
> also music on Computer B and have no speakers connected
> to the soundcard.
>
> What I want to know is, is it possible to say double
> click on an mp3 file on Computer B and have it output the
> sound through my network to the headphones connected on
> Computer A's soundcard?
>
> And also (not essential) is this also possible if
> Computer A is running Windows?

I can (sort of) think of a couple of ways. If the two
machines are physically close enough, as has already been
mentioned, physically wire the speaker jack from B to the
input of A. Not terribly elegant, but simple and works.
Next up would be to remotely mount the file system from B
on A. Options include, but not limited to: NFS, Samba, and
sshfs. I use NFS personally to get my limited music
collection routed around the home network, but Samba might
be better if you plan on running sound through box A
running Windows. In either case, media files play on
machine A as if they were hosted locally.

After those two classes of approach, I guess that you could
get into some sort of streaming solution, but you're _way_
out of my league there. It also seems that PulseAudio has
network capabilities. If you get _that_ to work nicely for
you, you may meet with widespread disbelief on this list
however, as lots of us seem to have trouble with Pulse.

Hope this helps.