Service start order question

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Feb 10 17:49:18 UTC 2008

Mark C. Allman wrote:
> If you look at my original post, you'll see that I described why it
> doesn't work.  The default service start order (I believe) is:
>   network
>   messagebus
>   wpa_supplicant
>
> If network tries to bring up a wireless connection that uses
> wpa_supplicant, it will fail.  I'm asking if anyone ever somehow managed
> to being up a wireless connection that uses wpa_supplicant when network
> starts but before wpa_supplicant is started.  I can't see how, but just
> because I can't doesn't mean it's a bug.  If nobody can then perhaps
> it's time for a Bugzilla report.  I'm just trying to be thorough.
>
> BTW, I'm running kernel 2.6.23.14-107.fc8 and use the package
>     iwl3945-firmware-2.14.1.5-2
> for the Intel Pro/Wireless 3945 in my Dell XPS 1710 laptop.  I used to
> use the atrpm packages.  I've found that after resuming from hibernate I
> sometimes need to restart (stop/start) wpa_supplicant before I can bring
> up the wireless connection.

I think the problem is because the people that set the order figured
that the network service would be used more for servers, and use a
wired connection. (I believe it only runs on run level 3 now.) For
desktop use, on run level 5, network manager is supposed to run
instead. In practice, it did not work out that way. You will have to
check, but I think there is a bug filed about this.

I would call this a bug. This is one of the things that tends to
show up in real use - people using the system in ways the
programmers didn't think they would.

Mikkel