how would you backup 1TB of data to dvds?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 20:02:01 UTC 2008

Michael Hennebry wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Feb 2008, Lamar Owen wrote:
>
>> If someone asks about backing up 1TB of data to 4.5GB disks, I am going to
>> make the assumption until proven wrong that they really do know what they are
>> asking.  Now, when or if they prove that they really didn't know what they
>> were asking the situation changes.  But 'practicality' is in the eye of the
>> beholder (in which case, a 'lens' is an adroit analogy).  As one of my
>> favorite quotes goes, 'there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers.'
>> Or, in geekspeak, ASCII stupid question, getty stupid ANSI.  Or something
>> like that.
>
> Having been in the position of asking "How do I do that"
> and being told "Don't do that", I approve.

But anyone can google and get a list of programs and procedures. When
you ask on a mailing list you get (and should expect) collective
experience instead.  You can still choose to ignore the advice, but
don't discount its value.  When people who have tried it say "don't do
that" learning the same from your own experience is the hard way to go.

> One of the unimformatives even commented
> on the amount of time the thread was taking.
>
>> But just suppose the OP had ready access to free or nearly free DVDs and free
>> or nearly free labor?  Is it practical then?
>
> I can think of better reasons for insisting on DVDs.

For 1TB of data - there's no reason good enough.

For the 2nd round - 50GB/month, it is possible, and the brute force
approach of dragging the new files weekly into k3b would work as well as
anything and would give you disks that would let pretty much anything
access the files directly.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com