how would you backup 1TB of data to dvds?

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Sun Feb 10 22:29:25 UTC 2008

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008, Les Mikesell wrote:

> Michael Hennebry wrote:
> > On Sat, 9 Feb 2008, Lamar Owen wrote:
> >
> >> If someone asks about backing up 1TB of data to 4.5GB disks, I am going to
> >> make the assumption until proven wrong that they really do know what they are
> >> asking.  Now, when or if they prove that they really didn't know what they
> >> were asking the situation changes.  But 'practicality' is in the eye of the
> >> beholder (in which case, a 'lens' is an adroit analogy).  As one of my
> >> favorite quotes goes, 'there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers.'
> >> Or, in geekspeak, ASCII stupid question, getty stupid ANSI.  Or something
> >> like that.
> >
> > Having been in the position of asking "How do I do that"
> > and being told "Don't do that", I approve.
>
> But anyone can google and get a list of programs and procedures. ...

In this case, not according to another poster.

> ...                                                              When
> you ask on a mailing list you get (and should expect) collective
> experience instead.  You can still choose to ignore the advice, but
> don't discount its value.  When people who have tried it say "don't do
> that" learning the same from your own experience is the hard way to go.

It's possible that someone claimed to have tried it.
I might have missed it.
The apparent value of advice is diminished when the giver
makes an assumption the the recipient believes false.

> > One of the unimformatives even commented
> > on the amount of time the thread was taking.
> >
> >> But just suppose the OP had ready access to free or nearly free DVDs and free
> >> or nearly free labor?  Is it practical then?
> >
> > I can think of better reasons for insisting on DVDs.
>
> For 1TB of data - there's no reason good enough.

I don't like the idea either, but I'm not the OP.
I'd want a lot of DVD-writers.
For all I know the OP has them or is willing to get them.
What is the answer if he needs a write-once medium?

> For the 2nd round - 50GB/month, it is possible, and the brute force
> approach of dragging the new files weekly into k3b would work as well as
> anything and would give you disks that would let pretty much anything
> access the files directly.

"Those parts of the system that you can hit with a hammer (not advised)
are called Hardware;  those program instructions that you can only
curse at are called Software."