cups problem on f8 x86_64

François Patte francois.patte at math-info.univ-paris5.fr
Mon Feb 11 07:01:49 UTC 2008

Le 11.02.2008 00:03, Craig White a écrit :
| On Sun, 2008-02-10 at 23:42 +0100, François Patte wrote:
|>
|> Bonsoir,
|>
|> I have just finished a f8 x86_64 install for a server and I tried to
|> configure a printer to be shared on my private lan:
|>
|> 1- I am unable to use http://localhost:631
|>
|> for if I try to modify anything cupsd dies!!! The "browse interface"
|> write some strange characters in cupsd.conf (some "¤←") at
|> DefaultAuthType and cups won't start anymore.
|>
|> 2- On clients, lpq command shows the default printer but If I send some
|> printing, nothing happens.
|>
|> On clients, log files report that job has been sent but I cannot see
|> them in log files on the server.
|>
|> This used to work without efforts to configure this service under fc6.
|>
|> what shall I do?
|>
| ----
| delete those strange characters
| service cups restart

I did it of course but I am still wondering why the web browser
(firefox) writes these characters...  It is not only one time but
everytime I modify something in cupsd.conf and it is everytime on the
line DefaultAuthType even if I don't ask for some change on this line
(Basic is replaced by these characters).

| and see what happens

printing is working on the server but not from clients on the lan. lpq
command returns that the printer is ready, log report that printing has
been sent but printing (and request) is lost in the pipes!

| What are you using to edit cups?

vi

Thanks for helping

- --