mod_ssl or openssl?

David Jansen jansen at strw.leidenuniv.nl
Mon Feb 11 12:07:10 UTC 2008

A weird question, but when contacting my internet provider to purchase an
SSL certificate through them, they asked whether it should be for
Apache mod_ssl or for Apache + openssl.
But as far as I can see from the apache documentation and output eg from
phpinfo, apache is linked against openssl and mod_ssl is loaded (and
running ldd on mod_ssl.so shows me, that that too is linked to the
openssl libraries, as I expected)

So, what does the question from my provider mean, and how can I figure
out which type of SSL my server needs?

System is Fedora 7, but I'm happy to upgrade if that makes any
difference, with apache version httpd-2.2.6-1.fc7.i386

David Jansen