Read Apple hard drive -

Ian Astley tokyoi at mac.com
Mon Feb 11 14:49:52 UTC 2008

On 11 Feb 2008, at 14:22, Bob Goodwin wrote:

>    I have a hard drive removed from my daughters Power Mac G4 plugged
>    into an F-8 computer.  fdisk sees it as /dev/sdb but that's
> about as
>    far is it goes, nothing relative to file type, etc.
>
>    Is it possible to get a directory listing or extract any data from
>    it in the Fedora computer.  I suspect not, but thought I would ask?

There is kernel support for the HFSPlus file system, so there should
be no problem with reading the disk. You may have to specify the file
type from a terminal window, e.g.

$ mount -t hfsplus /dev/<whatever> /mnt

There may be a slight difference from earlier versions of Fedora, my
F8 box now sees my Apple external drive as owned by nobody, group
nobody, which was not the case before. Whatever, it is still possible
to read it without too much bother, though you would be well advised
to follow Craig's suggestion to be sure about which partition to mount.

Amend your fstab file accordingly if you are going to be making a
habit of mounting this disk.

Best wishes,

Ian