kickstart (undocumented) changes

lead2gold no-reply-gw at fcp.surfsite.org
Mon Feb 11 16:39:48 UTC 2008

Hi guys;
First off; i'm somewhat of a newb;  So feel free to direct me to the information I havn't yet found on my own.

My problem is this:
I'm automating the install of Fedora 8 with a kickstart; but so many features have changed from Fedora 7.  little things.... such as the keyword 'cdrom'. If i specify it; the install automatically chooses a 'cdrom' type install (which is good) but then crashes with a ton of python errors right after the gui install loads up.  If i comment out the 'cdrom' key and just choose it manually during the installation. everything works great.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Kickstart [1] contains so much documentation that doesn't seem to apply in Fedora 8 as  well.... such as:
	 part /boot --fstype ext3 --size=100 --ondisk=sda part swap --size=2000 --ondisk=sda part / --fstype ext3 --size=1000 --grow --ondisk=sda
is now:
	 part /boot --fstype ext3 --size 100 --ondisk=sda part swap --size 2000 --ondisk=sda part / --fstype ext3 --size 1000 --grow --ondisk=sda
(but isn't documented that way on the site).

the timezone changed to --isUtc instead of --utc ... etc
The list is endless.... and they are minor, minor things; but unless rectified; you can't preform the install.

Even fedora's own kickstart-config tool creates entries that cause the kickstart to fail early.

I found this message board and through a few posted kickstart examples; i was able to spot some of the issues and through trial and error get a kickstart working.
My questions to you guys are:
1. Is there a good location to reference accurate kickstart configuration and setup?
2. what is the 'cdrom' keyword alternative in Fedora 8?

Chris

Links:
------
[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Kickstart