LVM and grub

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Feb 11 17:31:44 UTC 2008

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I set up an LVM partitioning scheme on one computer,
> with /boot on /dev/sda3 outside LVM .
> But grub could not access / because LVM was not activated.
> This made me wonder:
>
> 1. Is there any way of asking grub to activate LVM
> (eg run "vchange -a y") before it looks for the / partition?
>
> 2. Is there any argument one could add to the kernel line
> to the same effect?
>
> In the end I deleted the LVM, and used ordinary partitions,
> so the question is purely academic.

With /boot on its own partition, Grub does not need to access the
root partition. This is good because Grub does not understand LVM.
The thing you have to remember when using a separate /boot partition
is that the paths that Grub uses do not start with /boot. You would
use something like:

title Fedora (2.6.23.14-115.fc8)
         root (hd0,2)
         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23.14-115.fc8 ro
root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
         initrd /initrd-2.6.23.14-115.fc8.img

As far as Grub is concerned, your /boot directory is its root
directory. This is what the root (hd0,2) is telling Grub.

Mikkel