Script help

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Tue Feb 12 11:00:22 UTC 2008

Tom Brown wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am scripting some post install bits on a kickstart machine that
> downloads certain configuration files depending on the network the
> machine is in.
>
> I am trying to construct an if statement that will run something
> like
>

> ADDR=`ifconfig | grep "inet addr" | head -2 | awk '{print$2'} | cut -c
> 14,15`
>
> if [ "$ADDR" = "11" ] ; then
>       echo "downloading bar"
> fi
>
> if [ "$ADDR" = "12" ] ; then
>       echo "downloading foo"
>
> fi
>
> etc
>
> and there are 5 different configs - If none of the configs are found
> then it downloads a default - Am i going about this the right way?

Well, not really a direct answer to your question, but... have you
looked at puppet[1]?  It can be used to do this sort of thing very
nicely.  You can tell puppet to serve up different files to different
clients based on their hostname.

Something like this (taken from the puppet docs) would do almost
exactly what you're after:

class foo {
    file { "/path/to/my/file":
        source => [
            "/nfs/files/file.$host",
            "/nfs/files/file"
        ]
    }
}

This would try first to use file.$host and if that wasn't found, would
fall back to using file.

[1] http://reductivelabs.com/trac/puppet

Learn from the mistakes of others--you can never live long enough to
make them all yourself.
    -- John Luther