Making FORWARD_IPV4=YES permanent / DHCP multiple routers

Tim Alberts talberts at msiscales.com
Tue Feb 12 18:27:17 UTC 2008

First,

I'd like to configure my system to forward ip, to act as a gateway for
my network.  I've always used a script during startup to do this:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ${UPLINK} -j SNAT --to ${IP_NAT}

This works fine, however I want this permanent so I don't have to run
the script on startup.  I have the firewall setup with SNAT fine, but
when I write the file /etc/sysconfig/network with the line
'FORWARD_IPV4=YES' it still doesn't enable the ip forwarding after boot?

cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
0

So how do I do this?

Second,
In DHCP, you can specify multiple DNS servers:

option domain-name-servers 10.0.0.1, 10.0.0.2, 10.0.0.3;

can you also do this with routers?

option routers 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.2;

so that if one is down, the network PC's can fail over to another?