A sound problem one more time.

Kevin Kempter kevin at kevinkempterllc.com
Tue Feb 12 21:23:48 UTC 2008

> I got no answer to my question about sound in f8 working only as root,
> so let me ask the question a different way.
>
> This could only happen if some vital component in processing sound has
> the wrong permissions. Could any one suggest what that component could
> be? This is very frustrating.
> --
> To the systems programmer, users and applications serve only to provide
> a test load.
> Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net

Hi Aaron;
I've had similar issues in the past. Often it turns out to be a local user
config issue.

Try creating a new user and see if the new user has sound.  If so, (if you're
running KDE) you can sometimes get away with removing the  .config directory
in the user's HOME directory (the user with no sound) and then log out & log
back in. If this doesn't help then you may have success by archiving all the
bad user's $HOME dir files, deleting this user, then re-create the user and
migrate the $HOME files as needed.

Of course this all assumes that creating a new user results in that new user
(non-root) having access to sound.

/Kevin