how would you backup 1TB of data to dvds?

mjwestkamper mjwestkamper at weiinc.com
Wed Feb 13 02:08:27 UTC 2008

I have a similar problem and solved it this way:

I got an old Compaq server from e-bay. populated it with a bunch of high
capacity SATA drives and a SATA controller. Some limited sheet metal
mods and a bit of velcro made it all fit.

Next loaded Linux on a small drive, 40GB. Made a soft RAID 5 array out
of the other drives, 2TB.

I setup RSYNC to run on different places and put them in the appropriate
CRON directory.

I setup a RSYNCD in each of the systems I wanted to backup. There is a
great Windows version.

The system has been on line for a year. One SATA drive died and I
hot-swapped it and continued on.

The key is cheap drives, rsync and Linux. The whole deal set me back
less than a tape library.

Mike