Flash 9 for Firefox

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Wed Feb 13 19:46:29 UTC 2008

Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 01:09 -0500, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>
>> In your firefox plugins directory, you need a symlink to this file.  In
>> my F8 system, I have firefox-2.0.0.10 installed.  So I can find:
>>
>> /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.10/plugins/libflashplayer.so ->
>> /usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so
>
> If using Fedora's firefox packages, then plugins mostly would go
> to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins dir, then no matter what version firefox you
> use, it will work.  Otherwise, you have to redo them all with each
> version as the path changes.
>
> Not that your way is wrong, just stating how Fedora is setup to help if
> you/they/we so choose :)

I have a /usr/lib/mozilla directory.  I keep its plugins directory
up-to-date.  I also have a /usr/lib/firefox symlink.  I have to keep
changing it everytime I install a new firefox to point to th new firefox
directory.  My plugins don't work properly until I copy them into the
/usr/lib/firefox-X.Y.Z.A/plugins directory.  Despite what the
documentation says.  Its a pain, but it works for me.  Now, if you can
tell me what it is that I am doing that is breaking how Fedora is
supposed to work, I will file a bugzilla so that Fedora can fix it.  The
Firefox documentation clearly states that it looks for plugins in
/usr/lib/firefox/plugins, /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, and the current
/usr/lib/firefox-X.Y.Z.A/plugs directory.  By that statement, I should
only have to put the plugins in one of them to get them to work.  Under
Fedora, its doesn't seem to work that way. (at least for me it doesn't)

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net