A sound problem one more time.- THE SOLUTION AT LAST (PLEASE NOTE)

Frank Chiulli frankc.fedora at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 20:34:35 UTC 2008

On Feb 13, 2008 10:09 AM, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr> wrote:

> On Wednesday 13 February 2008 15:58, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> > > Aaron,
> > > I had the same problem.  But I was also getting a startup message
> > > about a syntax error in /etc/security/console.perms.d/50-default.perms
> > > on line 19 at 0600.  The error was a right paren instead of a greater
> > > than: <sound)  <sound>
> > >
> > > Once I corrected that sound worked just fine.
> > >
> > > Frankt
> >
> > Your a genius. Or at least you had the critical piece of information.
> > My /etc/security/console.perms.d/50-default.perms had no sound clauses
> > at all. It had no cdrom clauses either. Once that correction was made
> > sound works. I will have to remember to check that in the future.
> >

> > But how could that have happened. I assume it was related to the system
> > not recognizing the sound card.
>
> Hi Aaron. I'm glad you have the problem resolved. I'd had a look in my
> F8's /etc/security/console.perms.d/50-default.perms, after seeing Franks
> post, and it's as below.
>
> # device classes -- these are shell-style globs
> <pilot>=/dev/pilot
> <scanner>=/dev/scanner* /dev/usb/scanner*
> <rio500>=/dev/usb/rio500
> <fb>=/dev/fb /dev/fb[0-9]* \
>      /dev/fb/*
> <kbd>=/dev/kbd
> <joystick>=/dev/js[0-9]*
> <gpm>=/dev/gpmctl
> <dri>=/dev/nvidia* /dev/3dfx* /dev/dri/card*
> <mainboard>=/dev/apm_bios
> <pmu>=/dev/pmu
> <bluetooth>=/dev/rfcomm*
> <irda>=/dev/ircomm*
> <dvb>=/dev/dvb/adapter*/*
>
> # permission definitions
> <console>  0600 <pilot>      0660 root.uucp
> <console>  0660 <scanner>    0660 root.lp
> <console>  0600 <fb>         0600 root
> <console>  0600 <kbd>        0600 root
> <console>  0600 <joystick>   0600 root
> <console>  0700 <gpm>      0700 root
> <console>  0600 <mainboard>  0600 root
> <console>  0600 <rio500>     0600 root
> <console>  0600 <pmu>        0600 root
> <console>  0600 <bluetooth>  0600 root
> <console>  0600 <irda>       0600 root
> <console>  0600 <dvb>        0600 root
>
> <xconsole> 0600 /dev/console 0600 root.root
> <console>  0600 <dri>      0600 root
>
> As you can see there are no sound, or cdrom clauses, and the fresh install of
> F8 picked up the soundcard (audigy2 soundblaster) ok. Apart from disabling
> the infamous pulseaudio, the only other thing necessary was to add alias, and
> options lines for snd-usb-audio in /etc/modprobe.conf, so that my usb midi
> keyboard didn't end up in the card0 position.
>
> It would be nice to know which soundcard Frank Chiulli has on his machine,
> that gave a similar problem to you, and if the soundcard was picked up
> automatically when he did the install, or whether he had to run
> system-config-soundcard to configure the card, and only after doing that,
> discovered the badline in /etc/security/console.perms.d/50-default.perms.

> [...]

Nigel,
I have a Sound Blaster Live! Value.  This is an older machine.  F8
detected the card automatically.  Unfortunately I can't tell you
exactly when I got the error.  I had tried lots of things to get sound
to work but never did.  It wasn't a big deal.  Then I was looking at
something else when I was the error.  I figured that I would take a
look at it.  It seems like an easy fix.  It seems pretty obvious to me
what was wrong.  So I corrected it.  Then sound worked.

Frank