What is the root of the "no sound" problem for some programs?

dexter dex.mbox at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 13 20:57:55 UTC 2008

On Wed February 13 2008 19:08:50 Paul Johnson wrote:
> Concerning the sound problem, does anybody know what the real root of
> the problem is?
>
> PJ
>
> ps: is this informative?
>
> $ rpm -qa | grep pulse
> pulseaudio-libs-glib2-0.9.8-5.fc8
> pulseaudio-libs-zeroconf-0.9.8-5.fc8
> pulseaudio-utils-0.9.8-5.fc8
> pulseaudio-libs-0.9.8-5.fc8
> alsa-plugins-pulseaudio-1.0.15-2.fc8
> akode-pulseaudio-2.0.1-9.fc8
> gstreamer-plugins-pulse-0.9.5-0.4.svn20070924.fc8
> pulseaudio-core-libs-0.9.8-5.fc8
> kde-settings-pulseaudio-3.5-36.fc8.1
> pulseaudio-0.9.8-5.fc8
> pulseaudio-module-x11-0.9.8-5.fc8
> pulseaudio-libs-0.9.8-5.fc8
>
> $ alsacard
> *** PULSEAUDIO: Unable to connect: Connection refused
> Open error: Connection refused
> 0

Sadly your kde system is infected with pulseaudio please try purging
or try $ mplayer -ao pulse <media-of-your-choice>

<rant>
pulseaudio was never designed with kde in mind and only as an after thought,
hence previously working out-the-box alsa hardware dies or performs badly in
all F8 kde systems I've installed until complete removal. YMMV
</rant>

...dex