A sound problem one more time.- THE SOLUTION AT LAST (PLEASE NOTE)

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 13 23:31:58 UTC 2008

> It would be nice to know which soundcard Frank Chiulli has on his machine,
> that gave a similar problem to you, and if the soundcard was picked up
> automatically when he did the install, or whether he had to run
> system-config-soundcard to configure the card, and only after doing that,
> discovered the badline in /etc/security/console.perms.d/50-default.perms.
>
> Aaron. Do you still have to add a "modprobe snd-cs4236" line in /etc/rc.local
> in F8, as you had to do since FC6, as per your earlier post?
>
> I wonder if this is a kernel, or Alsa related problem, as you said it wasn't
> limited to Fedora 6 onwards, but also on Ubuntu 6.06, 7.2, and 7.10,
> therefore the problem with snd-cs4236 does not, on the face of it appear to
> be distro specific. By the way, and IIRC, I thought I read somewhere that
> support for isa soundcards was not as it used to be.
>
> Would you download this script, as below, run it, and post the link to
> pastebin back. It may well provide some usefull info about your machine,
> soundcard, etc.
>
>  http://hg.alsa-project.org/alsa/raw-file/tip/alsa-info.sh
>
> It may be usefull to the Alsa development folks, and I'll post the pastebin
> link there, with all the relevant details regarding your isa soundcard, and
> what is necessary to get it to work.
>
> Nice to have the sounds working again eh!
>
> All the best.
>
> Nigel.

The alsa-info.sh runs on my f7 machine. I ran this as root. But when I tried
this on the : Please re-run it.f8 machine I get the following error:
rep: /tmp/alsa-info.sh : No such file or directory.
cp: can't stat '/tmp/alsa-info.sh : no such file or directory
Newer version detected:

Alsa-Info script has been updated. Please rerun it.

When I rerun it the same thing occurs. What have I missed?

Also on the f7 machine it  runs in a GUI window. But not on f8.

Cheer Up! Things are getting worse at a slower rate.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net