journal commit i/o errors

Mike Iglesias iglesias at uci.edu
Thu Feb 14 18:54:18 UTC 2008

Alan Cox wrote:
>> There's nothing logged in the logs after the journal commit error because the
>> kernel makes the drive read-only at that point.  Most of the time I'm not able
>> to run anything either - I just get a generic "input/output" error message.  I
>> haven't tried running dmesg when the problem happens; would anything useful
>> come out of that?
>
> Probably yes. It will at least give a good idea of the problem. Without
> that its guesswork.

The problem (finally) happened again.  I was unable to get anything via dmesg:

 > dmesg
/bin/dmesg: Input/output error.

Any other suggestions on how to get more information out of this?

Mike Iglesias                          Email:       iglesias at uci.edu
University of California, Irvine       phone:       949-824-6926
Network & Academic Computing Services  FAX:         949-824-2270