Burn CD from Command Line?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Feb 16 19:21:17 UTC 2008

Antonio Olivares wrote:

> The users also have the option of getting the original
> cdrecord and install it on their systems if they want.
>
> Cdrecord page:
> http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/cdrecord.html
>
> Cdrtools
> ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/
>
> k3b finds both wodim/cdrecord and use the one that
> works best for you.  That way if wodim is not doing
> the job, you can bring in the original cdrecord and
> burn your cd's.  The wodim/icedax/genisoimage were
> created from old sources of cdrtools which were then
> GPL, but then were changed to another license which
> triggered the emergence of cdrkit(which includes
> wodim/icedax/genisomage).

I was going to say something similar, if you are going to use something
called cdrecord, use the real thing. In most cases the wodim package
parts will work well enough, but I find fewer "learning experiences"
with the real thing. For DVD I would use growisofs, and for CD at least
look at cdrskin, which is a real project, not a hack of cdrecord.

Note: cdrecord must be run as root (or setuid), whines about using
actual device names instead of some pseudo-SCSI numerology the author
likes, and advises to drop back to kernel 2.4 because 2.6 is garbage.
Ignore it all, the software works the nuts and you can edit out the junk
messages in the source if you care.

If you create VCD or SVCD you really want real cdrecord if you want
working burns.

CD burning can be discussed on the cdwrite M/L at other.debian.org if
you have questions not related to Fedora particularly.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>