slow (s-l-o-w) install (TRY)

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Sun Feb 17 01:54:52 UTC 2008

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 17:36:42 -0800
Phil Clyde <pclyde at usa-american.net> wrote:

> Try removing the ethernet cable

??  What would that change? (I can't try that for the next several hours as I
won't be in front of that computer again until later tonight.  What am I
looking for if I remove the ethernet cable?

 > ...also is HD LOW LEVELED?

Low level what?  If you mean low-level formatting, I don't think that's been
possible to do with hard drives since the days of RLL and MFM.  Tracking
information and whatnot is factory-written now and can't be over-written.

I did a complete install of F8, though, if that's what you're asking.

> was any window product ever installed on HD?........

Not to the best of my knowledge.  The boys at the computer store put this
machine together yesterday afternoon and handed it to me.  They do, of course,
sell Windows there but they know that I have no use or need for it and I can't
see any Windows stuff being installed on a new-out-of-the-box hard drive.  On
the other hand, I didn't actually check when I set it up -- I just booted the
F8 install CD and started from there.

> remove ethernet even if you are using a Static connection!

Well, I do have a static IP address for that computer, but I still don't
understand what I'm supposed to be looking for....