samba remote share feature is broken in F8

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 02:26:36 UTC 2008

Hi,
I have tried solving this issue on fedoraforum.org and fedora-user
lists without sucess.

This the case:
* samba mount points are defined in /etc/fstab
* on bootup they aren't mounted because networkmanager is started too
late in init process (in Gnome actually)
* if you mount samba shares manually or by starting netfs service then it works
* unmounting samba shares doesn't work during reboot and shutdown
because NetworkManager service is killed much earlier that netfs
service

I have dealt with samba shares mounting automatically by puting a script in:
/etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/

# cat /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/samba.sh
#!/bin/bash
# Script to dispatch NetworkManager events
#
# mount samba shares on network up

if [ "$1" = "eth0" ]
then
if [ "$2" = "up" ]
then
/sbin/service netfs start
fi
if [ "$2" = "down" ]
then
/sbin/service netfs stop
fi
fi

This works for mounting but not for unmounting samba shares  :(

One other thing I thought of it rearranging order of services in
/etc/rc6.d/ and /etc/rc0.d/ in order to make possible for netfs to
stop before NetworkManager

/etc/rc0.d/
K01NetworkManager
K02NetworkManagerDispatcher
K75netfs

/etc/rc6.d/
K01NetworkManager
K02NetworkManagerDispatcher
K75netfs

So in /etc/rc6.d/ and /etc/dc0.d/ I did this:
mv K02NetworkManagerDispatcher K03NetworkManagerDispatcher
mv K01NetworkManager K02NetworkManager
mv K75netfs K01netfs

I'm not sure how smart is it do this so I wanted you to look at this
issue and figure out a way that would be best to fix this issue in
Fedora 8 and so that it JustWorks in Fedora 9.

Cheers,
Valent.