pcmcia wireless lan not loading

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Sun Feb 17 06:30:32 UTC 2008

Amadeus W.M. wrote:
> I have this Linksys WPC11 wireless pcmcia card (Prism2) that I use with
> 1) How is pcmcia being handled in F8? Is it somehow via udev?
pcmciautils-014-11.fc8 seems to be the answer.

> 3) How do I diagnose the problem, step by step. Where should I look and
> what should I see when I insert the card? It seems to me that the system
> recognizes the card (both pcmcia and the network) but it can't talk to
> the router.
from memory, iwconfig is the tool to use. By the way, did you upgrade to
or fresh install F8 ?

There are some bits of F8 that don't get installed when doing an
upgrade, but I forget which {see release notes/common issues}. Perhaps
your card works out of the box and doesn't need hand configs anymore ?

> 4) What does it mean that the card does not beep when I insert it?
I think it was the kernel initiating a PC speaker beep. If you have
disabled PC speaker sounds then it may disable that too.

Want some feedback: tail -f /var/log/messages

DaveT.