Low level formatting - [was Re: slow (s-l-o-w) install (TRY)]

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Feb 17 16:35:07 UTC 2008

Alan Cox wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 19:54:52 -0600
> Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net> wrote:
>
>> Low level what?  If you mean low-level formatting, I don't think that's been
>> possible to do with hard drives since the days of RLL and MFM.
>
> Correct (well the very earliest days of IDE), and it wouldn't affect
> performance anyway.

I can remember people killing the early IDE drives by low-level
formatting. The tools for low-level formatting MFM/RLL drives would
mess up the IDE drives. With later drives, they would ignore the
low-level formatting attempts.

Themain reason for low-level formatting MFM/RLL drives was moving
them to a new controller, or changing the interleave - nether are
applicable to modern IDE/ATA drives. (It was easier to low-level
format then to tweak the controller data clock to match the old
controller.)

Mikkel