best way to upgrade an FC6.i686 to F8.x86_64 - don't - fresh install instead.

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Mon Feb 18 17:20:29 UTC 2008

David Timms wrote:
> Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>> I've just finished an aborted attempt to install FU 20070204 8 X86_64 on
>> my laptop, currently running an FC6.i686 installation.
>> Try #1:  I tried the "upgrade" option.  Anaconda tells me that this
>> method is not supported and may fail since I am changing architectures.
> It isn't supported. No work has been done in trying to mkae it possible.
>
>> So, what did I do wrong, and how do I fix it?
> Sounds like there are some packages installed from the new distro/arch.

Not that *I* can find.

>> BTW, my disk is essentially partitioned into a single "/" partition, and
>> I'm interested in losing my local data in /home by re-formatting....
> I guess you meant _not_. What ? no boot or swap ?

Yes, I did mean not.  Sorry.  Fast fingers.  Yes I have a SWAP
partition.  /boot is a part of /.  The machine also has a /media/vmware
partition.  When I ordered the laptop, I asked for it to be able to run
Windows XP inside VMWare, so they basically split my hard drive into 2
data partitions.  I also have a 512MB FAT partition (not sure why, but
its there).

> Make a back of /home data to another disk or system. It makes it a lot
> easier to mess with this stuff, and not lose info.
> Once that is done, if you do have swap, it might be big enough to change
> to ext3fs to hold the contents of you /home dir. Move the data there,
> then you can do a fresh install overwriting your old / with  /boot /
> /home. Or maybe swap is big enough to hold a minimal system install that
> you can use to resize partitions {or do it from the rescue CD}.
> gparted gui makes expanding or moving ext2/3fs easy, but I don't think
> it can reduce the size of it.
>
>> by losing the list of all of my installed RPMs (so I can re-create my
>> system after the architecture change).
> rpm -qa --qf="%{name} ">rpms-installed.txt

Yes, I have this list already.  Thanks.

> This makes one long line of space separated package names. You might
> need to separate them into blocks that aren't too big for the yum
> command line to have trouble with.

Yeup, looks like another system I'm going to have to upgrade by hand.
(sigh)

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com