Working script won't work in rc.local

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Feb 18 17:46:51 UTC 2008

Barry Yu wrote:

> */Barry Yu <barryyu-cts at sbcglobal.net>/* wrote:
>

>     */Paul Lemmons <paul.lemmons at tmcaz.com>/* wrote:

It looks like xrandr requires connecting to an X server. When run
from rc.local, it does not have one. This is one of the things that
can cause scripts that work fine when you are logged in to fail when
run in startup scripts or cron jobs. Another thing to watch out for
is that the environment is not the same when running from the init
scripts or a cron job.

When you run the script from an xterm, DISPLAY is set, and you have
the proper authorization to connect to the X server.

Mikkel