A sound problem one more time.- THE SOLUTION AT LAST (PLEASE NOTE)

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Mon Feb 18 18:54:42 UTC 2008

On Monday 18 February 2008 14:53, Mark C. Allman wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-02-17 at 19:01 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:

> > > The only PulseAudio package I have installed is
> > > pulseaudio-libs-0.9.8-5.fc8.  It's needed for
> > > libflashsupport-000-0.1.svn20070904.
> >
> > Hi Marc. Sorry for the delay in replying. I spent a while today going
> > back through the alsa-devel archives, and the only reference to the Dell
> > XPS 1710, was one for the Dell XPS M1710w (which may well be the same
> > machine), and was to do with a problem with the subwoofer not working
> > with the alsa 1.0.14 driver, and on a Suse install. See below for the
> > thread.
> > http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2007-August/subject.
> >html
> >
> > I'll contact the guy directly, after you've replied to this post, to see
> > if he had any problems with getting sound working on his machine. I'd
> > like to clarify some things with you first though.

<Snip>

> > > -- Mark C. Allman
> >
> > Over to you, and all the best.
> >
> > Nigel.
>
> For pulseaudio:
>     The only PulseAudio package I have installed is
>     pulseaudio-libs-0.9.8-5.fc8.
>
> For option values in modprobe:  I tried all ("all") the dell values.
> Someone earlier said they used "toshiba" even though their laptop wasn't
> a Toshiba, so I thought I'd try it.  No luck, of course.
>
> alsamixer:
>     [mcallman at prez tmp]$ alsamixer
>
>     alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such
>     file or directory
> -- Mark C. Allman

Hi Mark. I had a reply back from the guy on the alsa-devel list, that has the
same machine as you. He's using Suse, not F8, but had no problems getting
sound working. See below for his reply.

<quote>
I'm not aware of any initial problem I might have had. However I regularly
install drivers from the hg tree so I'm not too sure about actual versions.

However at the time I posted about my subwoofer problem I did have sound and
wasn't even aware there might be problems (apart from the sound being
somewhat "slim", i.e. missing deep frequencies). On the other hand I usually
use headphones and thus don't recognize that.

Anyway, after applying the patches you refer to above also my building
subwoofer works as adverticed and I do have another slider when invoking
alsamixer. So I'd say with alsa 1.0.1[456] it should work.

So to sum it up:
I have no problems with sound on my XPS M1710 whatsoever.

Feel free to ask more questions and/or compare configurations.

Best,
Michael
<end quote>

I'm still concerned about pulseaudio, and I'm not trying to start an argument.
The fact that that alsamixer is not available appears to indicate that
pulseaudio is still involved in some way or other. You have said that you
only have pulseaudio-libs installed, but the package that disables pulseaudio
is named "alsa-plugins-pulseaudio". Could you please verify that the package
named "alsa-plugins-pulseaudio"  is not installed. We're just trying to help
here, and to get your sound working.

As I've said before, running, rpm -q alsa-plugins-pulseaudio, will show if the
package is installed, or Yumex will will also show if it's installed, or if
you use apt, and synaptic, synaptic will show if the package is installed.

Sorry. I'm not trying to wind you up, but just trying to find out if
pulseaudio is enabled. It's causing a lot of problems for some folks, and
disabling it just gets the sounds back.

Nigel.