best way to upgrade an FC6.i686 to F8.x86_64 - don't - fresh install instead.

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Tue Feb 19 06:36:06 UTC 2008

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> David Timms wrote:
>> Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>>> I've just finished an aborted attempt to install FU 20070204 8 X86_64 on
>>> my laptop, currently running an FC6.i686 installation.
>>> Try #1:  I tried the "upgrade" option.  Anaconda tells me that this
>>> method is not supported and may fail since I am changing architectures.
>> It isn't supported. No work has been done in trying to mkae it possible.
>>
>>> So, what did I do wrong, and how do I fix it?
>> Sounds like there are some packages installed from the new distro/arch.
>
> Not that *I* can find.

OK, after some really deep searching of my system, I discovered that the
attempted install destroyed my copies of:

	/etc/modprobe.conf
	/etc/sysconfig/network
	/etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0
	/etc/rc.d/*/S10networking

After some painstaking searching and fixing, I believe I have returned
my FC6 laptop to its pre-install (F8) state; with one notable exception:
my lo and vmnet devices are missing, and eth1 seems to be called
eth1_rename (and even so, my wireless appears to be working!).  Other
than that, I seem to be restored.

I did find (via google) an article about how to upgrade an i386
architecture system to x86_64.  Someone did it from F7 to F8, after
trying it out in a VMWare system first, then doing it on real hardware.
He also states that while using the DVD to just "upgrade" yields the
afore-to-mentioned message about not being supported, that he had no
problems doing it anyways.  The article is entitled:

Upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit Fedora Linux without a system reinstall

It was written last month.  I think I will study what he did, and try it
myself when I feel brave enough again (I've got to get off of FC6
sometime soon).

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com