Jigdo instructions, please

David Boles dgboles at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 14:16:30 UTC 2008

Timothy Murphy wrote:
| Robert P. J. Day wrote:
|
|> ... regarding my jigdo instructions, i'm guessing ...
|>
|>> I have heard of "mount -o loop". But the instructions say one should
|>> insert a DVD, which I take to mean that one should insert a DVD.
|> if this is meant to be a criticism of my HOWTO on jigdo, i can see
|> your point.  however, to be fair, right near the top, i do in fact
|> emphasize:
|>
|> "Please read the rest of this page before trying any of it. Seriously.
|> I mean it. I'm not kidding."
|>
|> and further down the page, i also make it clear:
|>
|> "Note that if you have directory locations for other files that might
|> save time in the reconstruction process, just keep entering those
|> locations as you're prompted one at a time until you're done, and
|> finally just hit ENTER to let the construction begin. For the sake of
|> this exercise, we'll just assume you're working only with what's on
|> the original release DVD."
|>
|>   so while i don't come ***right out*** and explain how to work with
|> an ISO image rather than a physical DVD, that above text should have
|> been enough for most people to draw the obvious logical inference and
|> to simply mount the ISO image somewhere and use its mount point as a
|> directory location.
|
| Dear Robert,
|
| I don't think "most people" would understand the remark above
| to mean that one should use "mount -o loop" on an ISO file.
| You over-estimate the knowledge and experience of "most" Linux users,
| I suspect.
|
| I was unduly critical of your instructions,
| but I still think you should say explicitly -
| by giving a concrete example -
| how to use jigdo with an ISO file as opposed to a DVD.
|
|>> The jigdo documentation is not very good, which is not surprising if
|>> the people writing it share your approach.
|
| I wasn't referring to you.
| Nor was I referring in particular to your documentation,
| which I found reasonably lucid,
| though I believe it could be improved as I suggest above.
|
| But it seems to me that if Fedora re-spins using jigdo
| are to become an official, or semi-official, part of Fedora
| then those creating the jigdos are under some obligation
| to explain how to use them.

Timothy

Fedora Unity Home page:

http://spins.fedoraunity.org/

On that page:

"How to Use Jigdo?"

with a link named "howto"

Which takes you here:

"Using Jigdo to Download Re-Spin ISOs"
http://fedorasolved.org/post-install-solutions/jigdo/

Near the bottom of that page is a section named:

"Using Already Downloaded Data"

which says:

"An ideal way to use jigdo is to "patch" an existing ISO that you have
downloaded in the past. This will reduce the amount of data needing to be
downloaded. To be able to use this existing data do the following:

For an existing ISO image:

~   1. Mount the image using a loop device:

~      mount -t iso9660 -o loop /path/to/oldimage.iso /path/to/mount/point/

~   2. Tell jigdo-lite where the media is mounted, when it asks. You can
also pass the --scan option to specify a directory to scan for files.

For an image already written to media:

~   1. Insert the media, take note of where it gets mounted. In Fedora, it
should be mounted in /media/something.
~   2. Tell jigdo-lite where the media is mounted, when it asks. You can
also pass the --scan option to specify a directory to scan for files."

That seems fairly clear to me.
- --

~  David