WiFi LAN access, but not WAN access.

Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED m_d_berger_1900 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 19 16:21:54 UTC 2008

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 18:07:16 -0500, Pete Geenhuizen wrote:

> Not sure if this addresses your particular situation, but in my
> struggles to get WiFi to work with WPA, with both NDISWRAPPER and the
> cursed BCM mess I found this little gem which works for both FC6, F8 and
> now I'm on CentOS5 with both ndiswrapper and Madwifi driving an Atheros
> PCI card.
>
> The interface comes up @ boot and when I login all is well.  I use
> kwifimanager as a quick and dirty method to monitor the WiFi for
> connection and speed info.
>
> chkconfig {NetworkManager,NetworkManagerDispatcher,wpa_supplicant} off
>
> add the following to the end of
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-wireless
>
> # wsrcc hack start.
> # This seems to be the only way to get wpa networking and dhcpclient to
> work # properly at boot
> if [ ! -S /var/run/wpa_supplicant/$DEVICE ]  ;  then
>     wpa_supplicant -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -i$DEVICE
> -Dwext -B
> fi
> # wsrcc end end

[...]

This is very helpful.  Following this suggestion, I put at
the end of the ifup-wireless:

# Bring up wpa_supplicant if needed.

suppl=no

if ! ps -ef | grep -v grep | grep -q wpa_supplicant; then
   if test -n "$ESSID"; then
      for ii in thisSecureWiFi thatSecureWiFi theOtherSecureWifi; do
         if test $ii = $ESSID; then
            suppl=yes
         fi
      done
   fi
fi

if test $suppl = yes; then
   wpa_supplicant  -w -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
-B
fi

Now I do not have the wireless coming up automatically, but
if i click Activate in Network Device Control, the connection
is made with reasonable reliability.

Now I would like to bring down wpa_supplicant when I click
Deactivate, bit I do not see a "ifdown-wireless" script.

What script is called in this case?

Thanks,
Mike.