command line sms tool

Andrew Kelly akelly at corisweb.org
Wed Feb 20 15:01:58 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 14:34 +0100, Manuel Arostegui Ramirez wrote:
> El Miércoles, 20 de Febrero de 2008 14:29, Andrew Kelly escribió:
> > Hi y'all,
> >
> > can any of you recommend a command-line tool for sending an SMS to a
> > cell phone? Half an hour of googl'ing has brought me only outdated,
> > half-finished or modem dependant stuff of little or no value.
> >

> I've used gnokii to send sms by using a cell phone plugged in a serial port.
> Try it.
>
> Manuel.

Hi Manuel, thanks for that tip. Unfortunately, it's not something that
I'll be able to use. This is something I'll be running on remote
machines, that most certainly don't have a cell attached to them.
In a nutshell, the problem is this: My boss is too cheap to provide a
pager server, and my cell phone service provider cannot offer me the
possibility of accepting e-mail on my cell. Basically, all I want to do
is be notified on my cell by any of my servers, should certain
conditions arise. Since I can't send an e-mail to my phone, I'd like to
send and SMS. And I need to be able to script the action, ergo
command-line.

Andy