Best solution for mail server?

Henning Larsen hennlar at start.no
Wed Feb 20 16:41:12 UTC 2008

> Henning Larsen wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 23:26 +1030, Tim wrote:
> >
> >> In my rc.local files I have lines like the following (below).  And each
> >> user has their ~/.fetchmailrc file set for whatever servers their
> >> accounts will poll.
> >>
> >> su tim -c "/usr/bin/fetchmail -d 900"
> >> su john -c "/usr/bin/fetchmail -d 1200"
> >> su jane -c "/usr/bin/fetchmail -d 1500"
> >>
> >> I picked different polling periods so that mail runs will not run at the
> >> same time as each other (spreading the workload around).  Any user can
> >> stop their own automatic poll, and restart it, if they want to.
> >>
> >> I only roughly picked different time periods, if I really wanted to
> >> ensure that they hardly ever ran at the same time, I'd have used prime
> >> numbers.  But I'm too lazy to bother to work out large prime numbers,
> >> and I don't think it's that important for me.  It'd be different if you
> >> had a large number of users, then it might be quite beneficial.
> >
> > Thank you Tim, and others.
> >
> > The .fetchmailrc files is now in users home dirs. They are owned by
> > root, and they contain passwords.
> > Should I change owners of the files and put passwords somewhere else?
> >
> > About what you said about primes, I don't follow.
> > if polls happen every 11 and 13 minute they will crash every 11x13 min.
> > if polls happen every 10 and 12 minute they will crash every 10x12 min.
> > as long as the numbers not divide to whole numbers like 6 and 12 does it
> > will be the same. But primes ensure that situation never happend, am I
> > right?
>
> There's no reason for 2 instances of fetchmail running at the same time
> to crash as long as they aren't logging in as the same user on the
> remote side.
>
> --
>    Les Mikesell
>     lesmikesell at gmail.com

Hi again.

I have changed owner of the .fetchmailrc files to the mail users.
My problem now is that after booting the server it pulls mail, but after
a while it stop. The process is sleeping and if i issue fetchmail from
cli i get a message saying the daemon is being awakened, why is it going
to sleep?

Henning Larsen