comcast website's

Mike - W0TMW mikew at crucis.net
Wed Feb 20 18:05:18 UTC 2008

See below at ***

mw

"Lose not thy airspeed lest the ground rises up and smites thee." - Anon.

Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Bob Kinney wrote:
>
>> I use Comcast also, and host my web site via my always-on
>> connection-- from inside my home.  This gives you the freedom to
>> make your site how YOU want it.  You own it, you control it.
>>

> And this is a violation of the comcast terms of service agreement last
> time I read it.  Whether you, they, or anyone else cares is another
> matter. ;)
>

>> I'd like to set up my own mail server for my domain, too, but
>> initial tests show that Comcast, in my area anyway, blocks outbound
>> traffic destined to port 25 (SMTP).  After one laughably ridiculous
>> conversation with their tech support, I haven't pursued it further.
>>

> Even if comcast didn't block outbound port 25 you'd find that many
> other mail servers would not accept your mail because it was coming
> from a known dynamic IP address pool.

All you have to do is point your sendmail to comcast's mail server
(smtp.comcast.net). That's what I do and it works just fine. I've had my
webpage on my local Linux box for years and have never had a complaint
from Comcast.  Of course, I don't have millions of daily hits either.

mw