USB scanner permission

John Thompson john at vector.os2.dhs.org
Wed Feb 20 22:21:06 UTC 2008

On 2008-02-20, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:

> John Thompson wrote:
>> After one of the latest rounds of updates of FC8 I find I can no longer
>> use xsane as a normal user: it shows the "Looking for devices" pop-up
>> but never finds my USB scanner. If I run xsane as "root" it works fine,
>> so apparently this is a permission problem.
>>
>> How do I determine which device file in /dev is being used for the
>> scanner? This used to be simple before the days of udev...

> This should be handled by a combination
> /etc/udev/rules.d/60-libsane.rules and
> /etc/security/console.perms.d/

I thought you might be onto something when I saw:

<console>  0660 <scanner>    0600 root.lp

But after changing it to:

<console>  0666 <scanner>    0666 root.users

It still didn't work.

Here's my scanner in /etc/udev/rules.d/60-libsane.rules:

# EPSON GT-7000U | EPSON Perfection 636U | Epson Perfection 636U
ATTR{idVendor}=="04b8", ATTR{idProduct}=="0101", SYMLINK+="scanner-%k"

I suspect I just don't know what I'm doing here.

--

John (john at os2.dhs.org)