NVidia 6600GT video failure

John Thompson john at vector.os2.dhs.org
Wed Feb 20 22:40:54 UTC 2008

Having been disappointed with the on-board Intel 945GM video hardware on
my new computer, I found an inexpensive nVidia 6600GT PCI-E board with
512MB ram to replace it. Unfortunately, I cannot get either the "nv"
driver or the proprietary nVidia driver to work with it: "no screens
found."

I used system-config-display to generate a new xorg.conf; no joy.

Built the latest proprietary nVidia driver modules to try the
proprietary driver; no joy. Plus, the nvideo OpenGL libraries hosed the
old Intel libraries so I had to reinstall the Intel driver rpms.

The new card works with the "vesa" driver, but only gives me a 60hz
refresh rate, which gives me a headache in about 5 minutes.

Adding insult to injury, after reinstalling the old Intel drivers, I can
no longer get hardware OpenGL support, so everything runs even worse
than it did before.

Is there a secret to getting the nVidia stuff to work? I'm using
Fedora8 x86-64 with kernel 2.6.23.15-137.fc8. With my old machine, the
proprietary modules built and installed fine, but this new machine is
being a PITA.

--

John (john at os2.dhs.org)