command line sms tool

Andrew Kelly akelly at corisweb.org
Thu Feb 21 09:18:41 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 13:20 -0500, Mark Haney wrote:
> Pete Huckelba wrote:
> > Andrew Kelly wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi y'all,
> >>
> >> can any of you recommend a command-line tool for sending an SMS to a
> >> cell phone? Half an hour of googl'ing has brought me only outdated,
> >> half-finished or modem dependant stuff of little or no value.
> >> Help much appreciated.
> >>
> >> Andy
>
> > ATT/Cingular: phonenumber at txt.att.net
> > T-Mobile: phonenumber at tmomail.net
> > Virgin Mobile: phonenumber at vmobl.com
> > Sprint: phonenumber at messaging.sprintpcs.com
> > Verizon: phonenumber at vtext.com
> > Nextel: phonenumber at messaging.nextel.com
> >
> > where phonenumber = your 10 digit phone number
> >
> > Try something like:
> >
> > echo "my sms message" | mutt 1234567890 at txt.att.net
> >
> > -Pete
> >

> Nah it's really even easier than that (at least for Verizon).  Use mail
> to send a message like 'mail -s "Subject" <number>@vtext.com <
> somefilehere.txt'.
>
> This will get you a text with a certain subject line and will include
> the contents of somefilehere.txt into the text message.  That's exactly
> how we monitor every single device we have in the company I work for and
> it works just fine.  I will say Verizon's text delivery can be spotty,
> but that might just be because I live in the ass end of nowhere in NC.

@ Mark

Thanks, but as I stated in my OP, my cellular provider cannot offer me
e-mail service in that fashion. That would naturally make everything
simple, and is in fact how I also did things in the past. Sadly, now
it's a NOGO.

@ Pete

Thanks to you as well, but unfortunately I'm not on a US cellular
network and cannot make use of any of those services.

@ Everybody

Many thanks for all your assistance and suggestions. As it turns out,
what I've had to do is find and utilise a pay-service, which can
basically cover my needs for about 5 bucks a year. Seems stupid to have
to pay for what you'd think would be a freebie from your ISP, but there
you go.

Andy